Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 25, 2017, 09:29:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Click here for the latest sumo news         

+  sumotalk.com
|-+  Sumo
| |-+  Tournaments
| | |-+  Haru 2016
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Haru 2016  (Read 2472 times)
Cydrome
Sumotalk Ichimon

« on: March 13, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »

Watched senshuraku via Japan TV and I must admit that the enthusiasm of the crowd in the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium made my memory of the awkwardly staged Kotoshogiku yusho less painful.  YSK was seeking this sort of a reanimation and they got it.

Perhaps in response to the lively crowd, the sumo was crisp and satisfying.  Hard fought straight-up matches for the most part, not a henka in the bunch.  Sorta like the "good old days" (whenever they were).  

Kakuryu's loss was surprising, but Toyonoshima can do that on any given night and it was a great fight to watch. Hakuho's loss to Takarafuji looked a lot more like something's wrong with Hak's body than a phony bout.  

Murray Johnson had a knowledgable and amusing wingman (didn't catch his name) on the broadcast.  IMHO a promising start to the Haru Basho.

We were booked into Kyoto for 10 days so I could zip over to Osaka once or twice, but "real life" got in the way.

Real life - 1, Cydrome - 0,  Hatakikome.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:44:57 PM by Cydrome » Logged

The phrase you hear in a laboratory that heralds an important new discovery is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny…'       -Isaac Asimov
Seisset
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »

i just hope the nightmare of a yokozuna kotoshogiku stops soon enough... but for the moment the script is going on... who will be the first one to stop that comedy?
mfg

Ciao
Seisset
Jason
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »

i just hope the nightmare of a yokozuna kotoshogiku stops soon enough... but for the moment the script is going on... who will be the first one to stop that comedy?
mfg

Ciao
Seisset
The slippery clay.  Or he hurts his back doing his popular pose.  It does make me wonder if that's the reason Hakuho has turned damned near 'lazy villain' these days.

Insert clever phrase here that will garner respect and love.
Haidouzo
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »

I'm not sure I've ever seen as late as day 9 with a full complement of makuuchi and juryo participating.
Cydrome
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »

It does make me wonder if that's the reason Hakuho has turned damned near 'lazy villain' these days.

Last night, Hakuho beat the crap out of Yoshikaze (the bloodiest match I can remember seeing) before tossing him into the crowd well after the bout had been won.  This was the worst of his string of villainous acts this basho.

Is it his injured elbow? Is he bored?  Is he publicly commenting on NSK's "Japanese Yokozuna" match-rigging campaign?

There may be some clue in the fact that the English commentators are unusually frank in criticizing his behavior while pointing out that he has already captured just about every meaningful record in the sport. Perhaps Hakuho is reacting to being forced to retire.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:03:13 PM by Cydrome » Logged

The phrase you hear in a laboratory that heralds an important new discovery is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny…'       -Isaac Asimov
Jason
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

Interesting point, hadn't thought about retirement, since he still looks like he's got a few years of quality in him.  But it could be!

Cydrome
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »

I hope last night's Kakryu-Goeido match will turn out to be the nadir of the Haru Basho follies. 

The night before, Goeido had to henka Toshinoshin to get to 7-1. Last night, no sumo moves occurred. Kakryu calmly walked backward out of the ring in the face of Goeido's irresistible Jedi force field. 

Ick!

Kurokumo

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »

It's been years, but I couldn't resist checking here to see the general opinion of this rancid basho.

??
Jason
Sumotalk Ichimon

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »

I rather enjoyed it.  I don't see the muriyoku stuff as readily as others.  These rikishi are jocks after all, and can be prone to the occasional brain-fart.  And seeing Goeido moving better than I have in years, staged or otherwise, was nice.  Seeing Tochiozan crater was interesting, too, though not really a 'nice' event.  But that last bout, the Hak v. Har travesty really was a let down.  I also was unimpressed with Tochinoshin's last bout.  But I'll be back to see how this soap opera plays out!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length